The definition of Kindergarten in the school of education is: "The garden where the children grow." HA. Kindergarten is designed to show teachers how wonderful freshman can really be.
I spent two days in a kindergarten classroom. I was at a school that my mother has been a school nurse at for the past twenty years. I figured that I could take a break and play with some little kiddos. But little did I know that I was in line for constant energy, practical jokes, blows to my self-esteem, and tons and tons of tears.
The first day was a lot of fun. The kids have tons and tons of energy and are not capable of silent reading at this point. I realized how much I like silent reading as a time filler.
However a few things have changed since I was in Kindergarten. First off, it goes all day long. Second off, there is no more nap time. Thirdly, I never found the sandbox.
We were having lots of fun playing and dancing, when the other teachers decided to play a joke on me. They made up an emergency and dropped another twenty kids in my room. I, not realizing this was a joke, just kept dancing with all of the kindermonsters.
The second day brought tears on both parts. Kiddos fought and made each other cry, one kid made me cry when she asked if there was a baby in my tummy (I am 6'1" and a size 10). One of the cutest monsters of them all gave me an apple and then three hours later got hungry and asked for it back.
There were some really cute kiddos. Like one kid who said thank you every time you answered one of his questions. The cutest little boy with the biggest brown eyes who would just drag you around and show you the plants he planted. Then there were the sweetest girls who sat quietly no matter what and just looked at you with their big brown eyes with the utmost respect.
While Kindergarten is a job for the select few it not only worked as birth control for the next five years, but also gave me perspective on how much influence we have on these little minds that will one day lead our nation.
No comments:
Post a Comment